Subject: Re: Graphical Sysinst in 2.0
To: None <chris.wareham@eu.fkilogistex.com>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/31/2004 00:03:46
> > talking about integrating it into the main system itself (which is not
> > only a bad design strategy) we need to keep our goals in mind here:
> >

> I find the current sysinst to be excellent - simple, uncluttered and
> intuitive. Compared to the installers for OpenBSD, FreeBSD and (shudder)
> Debian Linux, it is clearly the easiest to use. I've only had one failed
> install using sysinst, but that was from a -current snapshot partway
> through David Laights' recent work on it.

in last few tens of thousands years human evolved from gesture-only
communication with pointing and unarticulated voices, through speaking,
primitive pictures painted in caves, then through writing with pictograms,
then simplified glyphs to simple letter-based scripting like today.
from fighting for something to eat and to survive - to understanding of
past,present and future, understanding math, physics etc...

if we look at computers we started from mathematicians and
physician helper, through very strict and clear text interfaces with
typed commands, through text interface with semi-graphics and menus, then
pictograms, pointing and clicking with lots of unarticulated voices
produced by sound card.

what will be next? maybe pictogram-only screen with touchscreen to point
it. or maybe detector of many kinds of unarticulated voices produced by
human to choose from this icons.

of course with regular praying for this to work, and fighting with
software to survive - which we already have with "friendly" products.

Don't know how about You, but i personally don't like to go back to
caves.