Subject: Re: Linux Matlab users: please re-test
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/30/2004 10:16:53

Jaromir Dolecek <> wrote:
> people using Matlab having problems with Java, please:
> 1. make sure you have sun-jdk14 2.x installed
> 2. make sure you are NOT using the Matlab-bundled Java - the bundled Java
>    appears to be broken in emulation (perhaps it's the known-broken 1.4.1)
> The latter thing can be ensured by symlinking - e.g.
> if you have matlab installed in /usr/local/matlab6.5, there
> is directory
> 	/usr/local/matlab6.5/sys/java
> =20
> It should be enough to just symlink 'java' to /usr/pkg/java/sun-1.4
> (after moving the directory aside).=20
> Please try that and report if the problems persist.

Unfortunately I was unable to fix my problems with matlab 6.5 aka R13
this way.  First, I had to go into

(instead of /usr/local/matlab6.5/sys/java), since this is where the
actual symlink to the jre to be used is located.

I tried changing the symlink to point to either one of

The last one is my native installation of Sun's JDK version 1.4.2.

No success.

*However*, I found that symlinking

	/usr/local/matlab6.5/sys/java/jre/glnx86/jre ->

allows me to run matlab with the full desktop again.  So thanks for
prompting me to poke around in that directory!

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)