Subject: Re: Bad response...
To: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@utu.fi>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: current-users
Date: 08/29/2004 23:59:27
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Arto Huusko wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> It's *obviously* not a good balance in there, for atleast my useage.
>
> Well, it can be hardly expected that the defaults NetBSD has will be
> right for everyone. And it seems that your usage is, at least slightly,
> uncommon.

I find it a bit strange if running a big program such as netscape
parallell with a system build would be considered "uncommon usage".
But what do I know?

>> I *don't* have too much ram, I obviously have too little, and at that
>> situation, things aren't really fun anymore. NetBSD used to be much faster
>> in the past for me. (And no, the answer isn't always "buy more memory".)
>
> Perhaps the problem is that with the advances NetBSD has made, you
> need to do more configuration to find optimal settings. But until there
> is some intelligent routine that tunes the vm parameters automatically
> as load shifts, there's not much to be done about it.

True.
But what are people normally doing on their machines?
I can tell that doing NetBSD builds is a pertty common thing for me to do,
along with acting as a firewall, nfs server and plain workstation. (Doing
interactive things such as editing with emacs, surfing with netscape and
running a few xterms.)

 	Johnny