Subject: Re: F'up: /etc/rc.d/sendmail weirdness: more info
To: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2004 22:49:20
On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 08:45:43AM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 01:11:41PM +0200, Martin S. Weber wrote:
>>On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 08:20:49PM +0200, Martin S. Weber wrote:
>>> (..) I (..) restarted sendmail via /etc/rc.d/sendmail restart. It then
>>> told me (thank you :) that genericstable is newer than genericstable.db
>>> and (obviously) regenerated it.
>>
>>The contents after this creation are as follows:
>>
>>$ makemap -vu hash genericstable.db
>>root:   Ephaeton@gmx.net
>>phaeton:        Ephaeton@gmx.net
>>$
>>
>>Sendmail doesn't like that.
>
>sendmail should like that just fine.  the genericstable is a regular
>database, not an alias database.
>
>>> (...)
>>> I then regenerated the file by sendmail -bi -oA/etc/mail/genericstable.
>>> (...)
>>
>>The contents after this creation are as follows:
>>
>>$ makemap -vu hash genericstable.db
>>root    Ephaeton@gmx.net
>>@       @
>>phaeton Ephaeton@gmx.net
>>$
>>
>>Sendmail likes this very much :p
>
>that rebuilds it as if it were an aliases database, so you get the
>extra record.  how is the genericstable defined in your sendmail.cf?
>can you show the output of grep genericstable /etc/mail/sendmail.cf,
>please?

i played around with my genericstable content and some other stuff on
my laptop today, so i have two things to add.

(1) just use makemap.  the extra @ @ entry may have bad side-effects.

(2) this is sendmail 8.12.x, with the separated mta and submission
instances.  be mindful of this and reread this paragraph from
/usr/share/sendmail/README:

      Notice: if you use an MSP (as it is default starting with
      8.12), the MTA will only receive qualified addresses from the
      MSP (as required by the RFCs).  Hence you need to add your
      domain to class {G}.

which translates to adding this line to your mc file:

      GENERICS_DOMAIN(`$j')dnl

or this line to your cf file (if you've lost your mc file):

      C{G}$j

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."