Subject: Bad response...
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: current-users
Date: 08/27/2004 11:20:14
I'm getting tired of the fact that my system's response have gone down
dramatically the last year or so.
I believe the problem is in the unified memory buffer handling. The disk
cache is way to agressive in grabbing memory.

I have 128MB in the machine, and am currently experiencing a load of about
4, with over 90% processor idle time, and *lots* of paging. At the same
time, the file cache is holding 33 MB of memory.

I think the system currently is very badly tuned by default.

But I know that people probably disagree with me, so I have just one
question: how do I limit the file cache to take no more than, say, 16 MB?
No matter how much the system thinks it *might* be able to use.

 	Johnny