Subject: /etc/rc.d/sendmail weirdness ?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/26/2004 20:20:49
Hello users,

I have experienced something strange...

I have added another user to my genericstable (smart host etc. pp.)
and restarted sendmail via /etc/rc.d/sendmail restart. It then told
me (thank you :) that genericstable is newer than genericstable.db
and (obviously) regenerated it.

So far so good.

But then sendmail stopped working. My mailer (gmx - yuck ok but it
does its job) told me I'm not allowed to user their service. Obviously
the header of the mail was not rewritten (i.e. the name of my localhsot
was in there instead of the mapped name I told sendmail to use via
genericstable.)

I then regenerated the file by sendmail -bi -oA/etc/mail/genericstable.
(as suggested by the NetBSD Guide)

Voila, it works again.

I see that the rc.d/sendmail file is casting a different spell... Has
anyone else seen a problem like that ?

This is:

/etc/rc.d/sendmail:
     $NetBSD: sendmail,v 1.20 2004/08/13 18:08:03 mycroft Exp $

The changes since then have not changed the makemap invocation.

Regards,

-Martin