Subject: Re: Problem booting netbsd
To: roberto <roberto@redix.it>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 08/19/2004 16:28:54
roberto wrote:

>Date: 18 Aug 2004
>
>I've the following motherboard VIA EPIA CL6000E, CPU 600MHz, 256 MB RAM.
>
>I've downloaded NetBSO 2.0 - 200408130000 but I've a booting problem: when
>I try the 1st boot floppy I can see
> "NetBSD/i386 ustarfs Primary Bootstrap"
>
>for a 1/2 second then the PC reboots.
>I've tried the other boot floppies but with no success.
>
>Does anyone has the same problem?
>
>Roberto

I think it could be the problem with the way the kernel was compiled,
you can pass different -march=CPUTYPE, -mcpu=CPUTYPE options to the
compiler:

-march option is very CPU specific, i.e. if you pass -march=athlon-tbird
then the generated code will only run on ADM Athlon Thunderbird CPUs.
Run "man gcc" to find out all available options etc you can pass to
compiler.

-mcpu option will try to optimize for a specific CPU, but it will not
generate any instructions that do not execute on i386 CPU, it's better
to use -mcpu rather then -march if you're not sure which CPU model you
have or if you want to run the same binary under differnt CPU models,
i.e. i486 and pentium4

you should download the sources and compile the kernel yourself and
build a boot floppy, check out NetBSD website for documentation on how
to do that