Subject: Re: windowmaker -> ${PREFIX}? Why?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/12/2004 17:00:39
Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com> writes:

> if you need to upgrade X, you're affecting programs which use those
> libraries, possibly casting them into a state of unusability, no?

Possibly, but I don't really subscribe to the idea that I need to
rebuild things when I make library changes that advertise themselves
as minor (pkgsrc drives me nuts this way).

> to me, it *is* useful to separate X-using programs from non-X-using
> programs.  For example, if I'm not running X, I don't need
> /usr/X11/bin in my path.

What does that save, exactly?

> I was just surprised -- I'd been out of the lists since March until
> recently, and didn't know the change had gone in.

The default had changed, though xpkgwedge had been around for
years. I'd had xpkgwedge enabled on my systems since it appeared, so I
hadn't noticed the default changing...

        - Nathan