Subject: Re: bootstrap from -current and 2.0 fails on Shuttle FV24
To: None <>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/08/2004 17:14:15 (Laine Stump) writes:
> For now, it's looking like I'll need to put 1.6 boot blocks onto this
> machine to get it to boot - do 1.6 bootblocks have any problems with
> booting on a 200GB disk that has NetBSD in the last 150GB? (in other
> words, should I even try to install my new 200GB drive as primary, or
> just make it a secondary and live with the extra heat of a 2nd disk?)
> For that matter, can -current do that? (the motherboard BIOS does
> support 200GB disks - I just upgraded it the other day).

My experience with booting from > 137GB has been very spotty.
Everything along the boot-loader chain needs to understand LBA48; that
includes the BIOS.

As a test you might want to put a bootstrap on a floppy or CD and have
it trampoline and load the kernel from your netbsd disk partition.  If
that works you know it is a bios LBA48 issue.

(I could mention which other BSD has problems booting from LBA48, but
some people here might die laughing.)
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
New toy:  Voice over ip phone.  Sounds much better than an analog phone.