Subject: "" make dinamically linked binaries
To: None <>
From: Daniel Bolgheroni <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2004 13:06:36

after building a new system with "" script, I'm using
"postinstall" and "etcupdate" to do their tasks.

"postinstall" failed with gid, uid and sendmail. No problem at all.
After running "postinstall", I tried to run "etcupdate".

First of all, I chose to create some directories at / and after that,
"etcupdate" told me /bin/cat differ from what I have in my $DESTDIR. So,
I chose to install the new file, and then my script failed with all next
files, because "etcupdate" uses "cat". So, I checked my new /bin/cat
with "file" and saw it is dinamically linked, while another binaries not
updated in the same directory are all statically linked. I get the
following messages when I try to use the dinacally linked "cat":

$ etcupdate -b $DESTDIR

cat: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

$ cat
/bin/cat: cannot execute binary file

How do I fix this?

$ file cat
cat: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
$ file chio
chio: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1(SYSV), for NetBSD, statically linked, stripped

Also, there is an error in "postinstall" script. "stat" is used in the
script and it tries to use a parameter that does not exist (-q). I think
this should be fixed. Maybe this is just because I'm using "stat" from
1.6.1 too.

Thank you.