Subject: "build.sh" make dinamically linked binaries
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@unifei.edu.br>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2004 13:06:36
Hi,

after building a new system with "build.sh" script, I'm using
"postinstall" and "etcupdate" to do their tasks.

"postinstall" failed with gid, uid and sendmail. No problem at all.
After running "postinstall", I tried to run "etcupdate".

First of all, I chose to create some directories at / and after that,
"etcupdate" told me /bin/cat differ from what I have in my $DESTDIR. So,
I chose to install the new file, and then my script failed with all next
files, because "etcupdate" uses "cat". So, I checked my new /bin/cat
with "file" and saw it is dinamically linked, while another binaries not
updated in the same directory are all statically linked. I get the
following messages when I try to use the dinacally linked "cat":

------------------------------------
$ etcupdate -b $DESTDIR

(...)

cat: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
$
------------------------------------

or

------------------------------------
$ cat
/bin/cat: cannot execute binary file
$
------------------------------------

How do I fix this?

$ file cat
cat: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
$ file chio
chio: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1(SYSV), for NetBSD, statically linked, stripped
$

Also, there is an error in "postinstall" script. "stat" is used in the
script and it tries to use a parameter that does not exist (-q). I think
this should be fixed. Maybe this is just because I'm using "stat" from
1.6.1 too.

Thank you.