Subject: Re: Differences between "etcupdate" and "postinstall"
To: None <>
From: Daniel Bolgheroni <>
List: current-users
Date: 08/04/2004 00:37:46

"postinstall" failed with gid, uid and sendmail. No problem at all.
After running "postinstall", I tried to run "etcupdate".

First of all, I chose to create some directories at / and after that,
"etcupdate" told me /bin/cat differ from what I have in my $DESTDIR. So,
I chose to install the new file, and then my script failed with all next
files, because "etcupdate" uses "cat". So, I checked my new /bin/cat
with "file" and saw it is dinamically linked, while another binaries not
updated in the same directory are all statically linked.

How do I fix this?

$ file cat
cat: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
NetBSD, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
$ file chio
chio: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386,
version 1(SYSV), for NetBSD, statically linked, stripped

Also, there is an error in "postinstall" script. "stat" is used in the
script and it tries to use a parameter that does not exist (-q). I
think this should be fixed.

Thank you.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 18:31:12 -0500
Eric Haszlakiewicz <> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 04:16:08PM +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > what's the differente between "etcupdate" and "postinstall"? I was
> > wondering this because I was reading "Tracking NetBSD-current",
> > section"Installing a current snapshot", and the autor explain I must
> > update/etc before updating base utilities, and then he uses
> > "postinstall"; after installing base.tgz, etc.tgz, etc. he uses
> > "etcupdate".
> 	postinstall performs several easily automated tasks that don't
> require user interaction.  This includes things like updating the
> files in /etc/rc.d, removing obsolete files, etc...
> 	etcupdate steps you through the manual process of merging a old
> and new /etc.  It mostly just shows you a diff of each changed file
> and asks you what you want to do.
> 	You need to use both, or perform the equivalent steps by hand.
> eric
| Daniel Bolgheroni <> |

UNIX* is what you get when you want a real computer.