Subject: Re: Differences between "etcupdate" and "postinstall"
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@unifei.edu.br>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/03/2004 18:31:12
On Tue, Aug 03, 2004 at 04:16:08PM +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what's the differente between "etcupdate" and "postinstall"? I was
> wondering this because I was reading "Tracking NetBSD-current", section
> "Installing a current snapshot", and the autor explain I must update
> /etc before updating base utilities, and then he uses "postinstall";
> after installing base.tgz, etc.tgz, etc. he uses "etcupdate".
	postinstall performs several easily automated tasks that don't
require user interaction.  This includes things like updating the
files in /etc/rc.d, removing obsolete files, etc...
	etcupdate steps you through the manual process of merging a old
and new /etc.  It mostly just shows you a diff of each changed file
and asks you what you want to do.
	You need to use both, or perform the equivalent steps by hand.

eric