Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Jaromir Dolecek <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/2004 11:25:25
On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 02:38:15PM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
>Andrew Brown wrote:
>> by introducing "magic" that attempts to figure out if you fall into
>> the latter class of people, we start sendmail iff it looks like it's
>> needed.  if you've specifically selected another mailer with
>> /etc/mailer.conf, it won't start, so people who have properly switched
>> to postfix will be fine (note that simply setting postfix to YES in
>> /etc/rc.conf does nothing since the "sendmail" you get when you send
>> mail will be the sendmail sendmail, not the postfix sendmail).
>I think that both sendmail and postfix should be configured
>so that they listen on localhost only (or use the UNIX socket only,
>as in postfix case) in the default install.

afaict, that's the way they're both currently configured.

>Then, if the user wants mail delivered, they only add
>sendmail=YES or postfix=YES (according to their preference) in their
>rc.conf. Everything works, no magic is necessary.

that option is still open to everyone.

>I do not want no sendmail sneaking behind my back and starting

meaning that you don't get your daily and daily insecurity reports.
or the output of the weekly job.  by default, they'll just end up
sitting in /var/spool/clientmqueue.  that might be acceptable to you,
but i'm not sure it would be acceptable to the wider audience.