Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/2004 11:25:25
On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 02:38:15PM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
>Andrew Brown wrote:
>> by introducing "magic" that attempts to figure out if you fall into
>> the latter class of people, we start sendmail iff it looks like it's
>> needed.  if you've specifically selected another mailer with
>> /etc/mailer.conf, it won't start, so people who have properly switched
>> to postfix will be fine (note that simply setting postfix to YES in
>> /etc/rc.conf does nothing since the "sendmail" you get when you send
>> mail will be the sendmail sendmail, not the postfix sendmail).
>
>I think that both sendmail and postfix should be configured
>so that they listen on localhost only (or use the UNIX socket only,
>as in postfix case) in the default install.

afaict, that's the way they're both currently configured.

>Then, if the user wants mail delivered, they only add
>sendmail=YES or postfix=YES (according to their preference) in their
>rc.conf. Everything works, no magic is necessary.

that option is still open to everyone.

>I do not want no sendmail sneaking behind my back and starting
>automatically.

meaning that you don't get your daily and daily insecurity reports.
or the output of the weekly job.  by default, they'll just end up
sitting in /var/spool/clientmqueue.  that might be acceptable to you,
but i'm not sure it would be acceptable to the wider audience.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."