Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/2004 14:38:15
Andrew Brown wrote:
> by introducing "magic" that attempts to figure out if you fall into
> the latter class of people, we start sendmail iff it looks like it's
> needed.  if you've specifically selected another mailer with
> /etc/mailer.conf, it won't start, so people who have properly switched
> to postfix will be fine (note that simply setting postfix to YES in
> /etc/rc.conf does nothing since the "sendmail" you get when you send
> mail will be the sendmail sendmail, not the postfix sendmail).

I think that both sendmail and postfix should be configured
so that they listen on localhost only (or use the UNIX socket only,
as in postfix case) in the default install.

Then, if the user wants mail delivered, they only add
sendmail=YES or postfix=YES (according to their preference) in their
rc.conf. Everything works, no magic is necessary.

I do not want no sendmail sneaking behind my back and starting
automatically.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-