Subject: Re: SuSE 9.1 packages imported
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/31/2004 14:33:03
Matthias Scheler wrote:
> I've imported an incomplete set of SuSE 9.1 packages a few minutes ago.
> These package do *not* work stable with NetBSD's Linux emulation.
> Mozilla (taken from the "mozilla-bin" package) crashes in one of two
> attempts to start it.
>
> It would be great if somebody could use them to enhance our Linux
> emulation because it otherwise won't be much useful in a few month
> when the majority of Linux binaries require these new libraries.

Just some heads-up:

I've done some quick checks and so far Opera 7.53, VMware 3.2.1pl1
and Acrobat Reader 4.05 appear to work fine with the SuSE 9.1 base.

Opera7 just works, no apparent problem. Flash plugin works too.
The aspell library loads fine too with suse_base-9.1nb1.

VMware is not flawless tho. If I start the virtual machine, then do
'Power Off', it spits error:

VMware PANIC: (ide1:0) NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):712
VMware PANIC: (VMX) AIO: NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):712
VMware PANIC: (ide0:0) NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):712
VMware PANIC: (VMX) AIO: NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):712
Panic loop

which was not there with the older libraries. Besides this, it seems
to work fine.

Acrobat Reader also just works without any apparent problem.

I'm starting to download the Linux mozilla/firefox and will try
to check those too.

Jaromir

P.S: as a data point, this is on Intel CPU:

cpu0: Intel Pentium III (686-class), 1263.15 MHz, id 0x6b1
cpu0: features 383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features 383fbff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX>
cpu0: features 383fbff<FXSR,SSE>
cpu0: "Intel(R) Pentium(R) III CPU family      1266MHz"

-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-