Subject: Re: current and compaq WL200 wireless cards [long]
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Dave Tyson <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/29/2004 14:53:35
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

>On Tuesday 27 July 2004 15:22, Dave Tyson wrote:
>> Occasionally I see command failed messages from the wi driver:
>>
>> Jul 23 17:28:32 xxx /netbsd: wi0: command failed, cmd=0x11, arg=0xf101
>
>How often is "occasionally"?  This is the command we use to figure out which
>BSS it found, and if it's failing, the driver will never transition out of
>scanning mode.  What happens if you hard-wire the channel with ifconfig?

Actually looking back in the logs it's every time... If I run wistumbler
there are a constant stream of these failures. Setting a fixed ssid
and channel makes no difference. It looks like the card is seeing a
wireless signal as if I move the box around the Comms quality/signal/noise
reported by wiconfig changes. When you issue an ifconfig wi0 up the
kernel reports "pcmcia: card irq 5" - this may be an artifact of the
kernel being compiled with diagnostics. I am out of my depth with the
source code for this driver - but would be very happy to do some
debugging if pointed in the right direction.

These cards work under linux/freebsd but however their support is
a bit messy. I think your changes to the pcmcia code for the cirrus
controller where spot-on and I had hoped everything would just work :-)

>> wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (0.3.0), Station (0.8.0)
>
>BTW, this firmware is *very* old.

I have flashed up the station firmware to 1.4.9 but this hasn't
fixed the problem. The card *does* seem able to cope with weak signals
under windows with this newer version.

Dave

Computing Services Dept         Phone/Fax: 0151-794-3731/3759
The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
Chadwick Tower, Peach Street    WWW:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
Liverpool L69 7ZF               Open Source O/S: www.netbsd.org