Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/22/2004 09:02:46
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 09:15:02AM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 04:00:32PM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>> >Why not simply put sendmail=YES (or postfix=YES) in  /etc/rc.conf or in
>> >/etc/defaults/rc.conf by default? This would be simple and without any
>> >"magic".  Or am I missing something?
>>
>> that makes sendmail run for people who don't want it but have
>> upgraded.
>
>Ah, you mean that people who switched from sendmail to something else in 1.6
>would find sendmail starting after they upgrade to 2.0? That's true. Now, I
>understand all this seemingly overcoplicated "magic"! Thank you for fixing this
>annoying problem (mail not being delivered by default). I think PR/21998 can be
>closed, BTW.

if we set sendmail to YES in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, where it was
previously NO, people who upgrade /etc/defaults/rc.conf will then find
sendmail starting, even if they've specifically enabled postfix or
qmail or exim, etc.

if we set it to YES in /etc/rc.conf, it will likely have no effect
since that file doesn't typically get upgraded.

if we do nothing, once people who were implicitly using sendmail for
local delivery of locally generated mail (ie, the daily and weekly
jobs that run at night) will stop getting that mail.

by introducing "magic" that attempts to figure out if you fall into
the latter class of people, we start sendmail iff it looks like it's
needed.  if you've specifically selected another mailer with
/etc/mailer.conf, it won't start, so people who have properly switched
to postfix will be fine (note that simply setting postfix to YES in
/etc/rc.conf does nothing since the "sendmail" you get when you send
mail will be the sendmail sendmail, not the postfix sendmail).

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."