Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.ms.mff.cuni.cz>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/2004 21:23:36
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 04:00:32PM +0200, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
>>>Of course, as always, this kind of magic fails. Damnit, I don't want no
>>>stupid rc.d script to decide that I was wrong and "tune" machine
>>>configuration parameters for me.
>>>
>>>I think this change needs to be backed out ASAP. It has been discussed
>>>before and met resistance. There have been easy alternatives with less
>>>magic proposed.
>>
>> can you cite some?
>
>Why not simply put sendmail=YES (or postfix=YES) in  /etc/rc.conf or in
>/etc/defaults/rc.conf by default? This would be simple and without any "magic".
>Or am I missing something?

that makes sendmail run for people who don't want it but have
upgraded.

or, in the case of /etc/rc.conf, you have a file that doesn't
typically get updated when people install so sendmail doesn't start
and you end up with a system that "doesn't work" after you upgrade.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."