Subject: Re: matlab stopped working between 1.6ZH and 2.0C
To: None <,>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/2004 13:37:30

Mark Davies <> wrote:
> so with matlab 6.5.R14 and suse91 (on 2.0F) I get a splashscreen up then:

I just noticed that Release 14 of matlab is referred to as 7.0.0 (R14).
More version numer nonsense.

>  % matlab
>  ??? MATLAB was unable to open a pseudo-tty: Invalid argument [22,1]

Hmm, I did see that with matlab 6.5 R12.  In R13 they apparently stopped
using /dev/ptmx (I think), which allowed NetBSD to do the pty
allocation.  Now we have ptmx usage back, eh?

>  Opening log file:  /u/staff/mark/java.log.1023
>  Segmentation fault

Hmm, I just NFS mounted a Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 system over
/usr/pkg/emul/linux.  'matlab -nojvm' appears to work.  But if I start
it with the desktop, it also gives me a memory fault (after briefly
flashing the desktop).

Then I NFS mounted a Slackware 9.1 based system over
/usr/pkg/emul/linux.  After adding the symlink to into
usr/lib (on the linux system), it starts, again, with '-nojvm'.
Without, it sits there poll(2)ing for a while and prints ``do_ypcall:
clnt_call: RPC: Timed out'' before memory faulting and giving the same
java error log that you observed.

Of course it runs NetBSD!

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)