Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/2004 09:10:42
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 10:10:31AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:59:30AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
>> One of the first things I do when setting up a NetBSD machine is nuke
>> sendmail and install qmail
>
>Well, the script will actually detect the mailer.conf changes and
>obey. But it did not detect my more subtle configuration changes
>(PR bin/26391), and I guess if we would fix that we would find another
>failure case in a few weeks, and another one in a month...
>
>I have no problem with the default setup (via sysinst, or default "empty"
>rc.conf file, or however) to have a
>
>  sendmail=UNCONFIGURED
>
>and the rc.d script to interpret that as "local and outgoing mail only,
>via sendmail". That's the same as our rc_configured=NO default.

yeah...that's pretty much what it does, except that since the rc.subr
system only deals in yes and no values, the UNCONFIGURED setting gets
changed to yes by rc.d/sendmail so that everything's happy.  when
appropriate, of course.

>But the current state does not allow me to stop sendmail from running,
>even by an explicit
>
>  sendmail=NO
>
>I have removed /etc/rc.d/sendmail on my machines as a short term fix.

that's obviously not right.  a fix for your pr 26391 is easy enough,
but explicitly setting sendmail to no should work also.  indeed, it
works for me (where i've specifically changed nothing, so i'm getting
the "magic" setting):

	# /etc/rc.d/sendmail rcvar
	# sendmail
	$sendmail=YES
	echo sendmail=no >> /etc/rc.conf
	# /etc/rc.d/sendmail rcvar
	# sendmail
	$sendmail=NO
	#

can you send me a copy of your rc.conf under a separate cover?

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."