Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/2004 09:01:31
On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:59:30AM -0400, Sean Davis wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:40:10 +0200, Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:21:28AM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
>> > * the smtp listener starts by default, if needed.  the default setting
>> > in /etc/default/rc.conf is still "no", but rc.d/sendmail detects the
>> > default setting and will change it to yes if need is determined.
>>
>> Of course, as always, this kind of magic fails. Damnit, I don't want no
>> stupid rc.d script to decide that I was wrong and "tune" machine
>> configuration parameters for me.
>>
>> I think this change needs to be backed out ASAP. It has been discussed
>> before and met resistance. There have been easy alternatives with less
>> magic proposed.
>>
>> Martin
>>

>I must agree, and I support the backing out of this change as well.
>One of the first things I do when setting up a NetBSD machine is nuke
>sendmail and install qmail - sendmail shouldn't be enabled by default
>if we're going to continue shipping with two mailers. I'd much rather
>postfix be enabled by default than sendmail. But the proper solution
>(IMO) is to have neither enabled by default, and require the user to
>configure one. This could be a sysinst option:
>
>Choose your mailer:
>1) sendmail
>2) postfix
>3) do not setup a mailer, I will do it myself
>
>or something along those lines. But, anyway, no sendmail "magic", please.

if your first step is to nuke sendmail and install qmail, all will be
well.  sendmail won't start, but not because of the nuking part.  the
sendmail script looks at /etc/mailer.conf and will find that you've
picked qmail.

sendmail is intended to start iff you've done nothing at all to change
the mailer configuration.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."