Subject: Re: README: sendmail changes
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/2004 03:59:30
On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:40:10 +0200, Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:21:28AM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> > * the smtp listener starts by default, if needed.  the default setting
> > in /etc/default/rc.conf is still "no", but rc.d/sendmail detects the
> > default setting and will change it to yes if need is determined.
>
> Of course, as always, this kind of magic fails. Damnit, I don't want no
> stupid rc.d script to decide that I was wrong and "tune" machine
> configuration parameters for me.
>
> I think this change needs to be backed out ASAP. It has been discussed
> before and met resistance. There have been easy alternatives with less
> magic proposed.
>
> Martin

I must agree, and I support the backing out of this change as well.
One of the first things I do when setting up a NetBSD machine is nuke
sendmail and install qmail - sendmail shouldn't be enabled by default
if we're going to continue shipping with two mailers. I'd much rather
postfix be enabled by default than sendmail. But the proper solution
(IMO) is to have neither enabled by default, and require the user to
configure one. This could be a sysinst option:

Choose your mailer:
1) sendmail
2) postfix
3) do not setup a mailer, I will do it myself

or something along those lines. But, anyway, no sendmail "magic", please.

--
Sean