Subject: Re: large FFSv2 -> file system corruption
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/2004 23:04:31

Pavel Cahyna <> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:51:59 +0000, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> > I'm experiencing some serious problems on one of my machines with a
> > large FFSv2 system.

> A bit off-topic, but is there any reason for using UFS2 instead of FFSv1?

Well, aside from it being a whole lot faster to create and fsck, I
encountered problems with ffsv1, too.  ``Yay''.

After newfs'ing the file system using FFSv1, and trying to populate the
file system, I get a kernel panic:

/anon-root: bad dir ino 76362257 at offset 51632: mangled entry
panic: bad dir                                                       =20
Stopped in pid 366.1 (pax) at   netbsd:cpu_Debugger+0x1:        ret

Now doing a reboot from the kernel debugger doesn't even work (even
though I tried a 'reboot 0x4').  The machine will need a hard-reboot.
``yay'', again.

What the hell is going on here?

Tradition is the illusion of permanence. -- Woody Allen

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)