Subject: Re: large FFSv2 -> file system corruption
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pavel.cahyna@st.cuni.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/2004 20:12:14
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:51:59 +0000, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> I'm experiencing some serious problems on one of my machines with a
> large FFSv2 system.  The system in question uses a hardware RAID and has
> partitions as so:
>
> Filesystem         Size     Used     Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ld0a          9.8G     2.8G      6.6G    29%    /
> /dev/ld0f          246G     226G      7.8G    96%    /stevens-cvs
> /dev/ld0e           98G      40G       54G    42%    /mp3
> /dev/ld0g          1.2T     202G      984G    17%    /anon-root

A bit off-topic, but is there any reason for using UFS2 instead of FFSv1?
According to http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/features.html#large-filesystems,
ffs (v1) should also support such large filesystems. I was looking at
freebsd.org and didn't find anything relevant. I was thinking that if they
announce UFS2, they will also tell why it is better, but this doesn't seem
to happen.

> remote sites), I repeatedly experienced kernel panics (without getting a
> dump - just hung on 'syncing disks') similar to what's reported in PR

maybe try "reboot 0x104" .

Bye	Pavel