Subject: Re: wi performance hack
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/20/2004 00:18:39
On Monday 19 July 2004 22:37, David Young wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:28:31PM -0500, David Young wrote:

> > > Hm, I have the suspicion that the card is simply not transmitting
> > > packets in the order we told it to.  What happens with the following
> > > patch instead?
> >
> > Broadcast/multicast packets are sometimes transmitted out of order.
>
> What I meant was, wi firmware puts unicast packets and broadcast/multicast
> packets on different queues.  So a unicast packet that is queued after
> a multicast packet may nevertheless transmit first.

I can't seem to cause this to happen on either an Intersil or Symbol client.

At any rate, getting the FIDs back in a different order really shouldn't
matter to us.  "It's just a number."  As long as the card doesn't give us
duplicate FIDs, we're fine -- and I don't think it's worth bothering to even
check; the Agere driver doesn't.