Subject: Re: tracking current - snapshot
To: NetBSD current list <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/15/2004 19:25:34

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 09:36:24PM -0400, Jan Schaumann wrote:
> William Allen Simpson <> wrote:
> =20
> > Finally, my PR diffs were written as I personally tested:
> >   tar -zxpf ~/comp.tgz
> >   tar -zxpf ~/base.tgz
> >   shutdown -r now
> >=20
> > Instead, they modified to:
> >   tar -zxpf ~/base.tgz
> >   tar -zxpf ~/comp.tgz
> >   /usr/sbin/etcupdate -b /root
> >   shutdown -r now
> >=20
> > I am absolutely positive this will not always work, as I've been bitten=
> > by this mistake!  Installing base has to be done last, as tar is in bas=
> > and with any changes to tar and the libraries it accesses *boom*!

I'm confused. I don't see how moving base.tgz to the end helps. First off,=
my understanding is that our tar doesn't scribble over files, it creates=20
new ones then renames them. So we won't scribble over the running tar=20

Second, while I can see (and have been bitten by) damaged libraries coming=
in with the new base.tgz, given that the tar will complete, why does it=20
matter when in the update it happens? As soon as it happens you want to=20
start reverting to an older, working verion. And if you do base.tgz first,=
it is the only one you have to revert. :-)

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)