Subject: Re: HEADS UP: texinfo-4.7 imported
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2004 02:25:18
--DEueqSqTbz/jWVG1

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 05:21:16PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
  | There are other solutions too:
  | . remove the bfd.info* files in src/gnu/dist/binutils/bfd/doc
  | . regenerate them with makeinfo-4.6 or newer
  |=20
  | The problem seems to be that makeinfo looks at the index of
  | the info file that was generated with makeinfo-4.3, even though
  | it is called with --no-split, and doesn't like what it finds.
  |=20
  | I can think of three solutions:
  | 1) fix makeinfo to not do that (I've mailed bugs-texinfo about it)
  | 2) remove *.info* below gnu/dist/binutils
  | 3) replace *.info* below gnu/dist/binutils with versions that
  |    were generated by newer makeinfos
  |=20
  | I'm not completely sure that the info files are not needed,
  | but when I just now removed them, the host tools build still worked,
  | and the info files that get installed are generated from the
  | .texinfo files anyway, so 2) should be safe.
  |=20
  | Any comments on which way we should go?

IMHO we don't need manual pages, info files, and any other "cruft"
to be built or installed as part of the "tools" structure, even in
the Makefile.gnuhost style tools builds.

I would comment out the build & install of these items in the "native"
using the same technique I used to disable rebuild of .y->.c
in the tools build.  See the following for a method:
   http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/gnu/dist/gcc/gcc/Makefile.in#rev=
1.7

Cheers,
Luke.