Subject: Re: NOTE: various changes need testing
To: Charles M. Hannum <>
From: Richard Rauch <>
List: current-users
Date: 07/12/2004 23:29:56
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 01:58:50AM +0000, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 July 2004 01:21, Richard Rauch wrote:
> > For some reason, I had the impression that this didn't affect PCMCIA NE2000
> > cards.  Strange brain-glitch on my part, I guess...
> >

> > Anyway, I have a PCMCIA ne0 in my laptop.  It has a small problem which
> > seems to be unaffected by whatever Charles did.  The card works (with a
> > local hack) as before.  If I remove the local hack, the card does not
> > work.
> >
> > The hack is truly a hack: It bypasses a test condition that presumably
> > is useful for some cards, but which my card fails.
> Perhaps you could tell us what that "test condition" is?

The very last if() test of if_ne_pcmcia.c.  About 10 lines
up from the bottom of the file in my present copy.

        if ((last_liobase == psc->sc_pcioh.addr)
            || (last_liobase != new_liobase))
                rv = 0;

Add an (unconditional) {rv = 0;} after that, or fudge the
test to always succeed, and the card works.

See PR kern/18359 for more information, including dmesg for
card details.

The overruns I mentioned in the PR go away if I throttle the card
to 10Mbps (I was advised that PCMCIA can't handle 100MBps).  Other
than that, and the required hack, it works well for me.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."