Subject: Re: softdep lock-ups
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: Martin S. Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/29/2004 23:37:45
On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:29:45PM +0100, sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
> (...) I experience frequent system lock-ups druing heavy I/O operations
> on UFS2 filesystems mounted with "softdep" option.
> (...)
> My question is has anyone experienced the same problem, is it a well
> known bug, where should I look for the cause of the problem?

As much as I hate to say it, but I have -never ever- been able to run
with softdeps stably. Not ever all the way back pre-1.6. Lockups after
shutdown, lockups during normal operation, it's a big gamble, and never
seems to hit all people. I have one machine left running with softdeps
which is working fine (on a scsi disk, whatever that's worth -- although,
I'm still waiting for the next kernel panic!), all the others grinded to
a halt earlier or later. LFS nor softdeps are 'production environment'
ready, that's it. Yes it hurts, but that's it.

On the other hand, if you have "reproducible" lockups, some kernel-savvy
guys might need your input to fix these/your issues. Good luck :)

-Martin