Subject: Re: help needed with X config
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/28/2004 02:02:43
In message <20040624011112.30AAF1AE8D@berkshire.research.att.com>, Steve Bellov
in writes:

>I'm having trouble configuring X for a new machine.  I've attached my
>XF86Config and the Xlog output.  The config file is identical to the
>previous one I had used (with the same monitor), with the exception of
>the Device section, which I took from the file generated by the
>-configure option.  The monitor specs can be found at
>http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/monitors/59119/specs.htm
>
>I'm trying to run at 1280x1024, 16 bpp.  Windows XP does it just fine,
>and the monitor does indeed claim to be running at 91.1 Hz horizontal.
>But XFree86 insists that it can't find a usable configuration.  I tried
>adding HorizSync and VertRefresh lines to the Monitor section (not
>shown below); that didn't help.
>
>The log file clearly shows that Mode 49 is 1280x1024x16, so the
>resolution and depth are supported.  I freely confess I don't
>understand the rest of the fields for the mode descriptions.
>
>I'm running a very up-to-date -current X server.

Following up my own post...  I managed to post the wrong log and
configuration files.  Rather than putting them inline, they're at
http://www.machshav.com/~smb/x-problem/XF86Config and
http://www.machshav.com/~smb/x-problem/XFree86.0.log

The problem, as best I can tell, is that there's some collision between
the video BIOS's modes and what I've specified.  Per the i810 man page,
only the video BIOS modes are supported for this chip, so I may have to
specify something weird, but I'm at a loss for what that might be --
the resolution and depth I've selected are indeed displayed in the X
log file.  I do have 'agp' configured in my kernel; the man page
indicates that that's required.