Subject: Re: bin account obsolescence
To: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/2004 18:05:56
Jim Bernard wrote:
>   If that's a real issue, then it shouldn't be deleted.  But I suspect such
> "stuff" shouldn't really be using bin.  In pkgsrc, there are several packages
> that require app-specific accounts.  Those that use a generic "bin" (if there
> are any) probably should either be updated to use root, or should have their
> own app-specific accounts if they really need something that differs from root.

   While I'm a *big* fan of removing things left for backwards
comtemptability, and I love the idea of removing bin, I just
wanted to make a point.

   Binaries being owned by root are just different, because they're
root.  I think the idea of having a non-uid-0 account own general
system binaries seems like a fine idea.  I've no idea if that was
behind the original creation of the "bin" user, but.

   Tho, we're already too far down the path of having root own things,
I think, to come back.  So, nuking "bin" seems like a fine idea
to me.

                            - Chris