Subject: Re: bin account obsolescence
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jim Bernard <jbernard@mines.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/2004 15:59:30
On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 04:48:40PM -0500, James Chacon wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 03:35:43PM -0600, Jim Bernard wrote:
> > >
> > > My instinct is to just leave it there. It doesn't hurt anything, does it?
> >
> >   It's harmless, but it's a cobweb.  Like other accounts that were removed
> > in recent years (ingres, falken).
>
> Yes, but as apposed to bin those were app specific and/or humor. bin has
> been a system account for eons. Stuff can/will probably break assuming bin
> is a valid account even if the system itself no longer uses it.
>
> James

  If that's a real issue, then it shouldn't be deleted.  But I suspect such
"stuff" shouldn't really be using bin.  In pkgsrc, there are several packages
that require app-specific accounts.  Those that use a generic "bin" (if there
are any) probably should either be updated to use root, or should have their
own app-specific accounts if they really need something that differs from root.