Subject: Re: bin account obsolescence
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/24/2004 14:35:12
On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, john heasley wrote:

> last time i installed cdrtools ~july (not from pkgsrc), it installed
> files with bin as the owner; no idea why.  point being that this pseudo
> user has been around for ages and some may rely upon it.  seems silly
> to remove it.

It was also used to install fressh executables (under NetBSD using
pkgsrc).

And on my Linux box using pkgsrc, it uses:
-o ${BINOWN} -g ${BINGRP}
and I have a few packages with some bin-owned executables (probably due to
issue in share/mk/bsd.doc.mk).

On a NetBSD box, BINOWN is "root" by default. So it is fine with me too to
get rid of "bin". Anything that uses it could probably be easily be fixed
later (in pkgsrc).

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/