Subject: Re: FYI, sony gc82 egprs modem pc card
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/23/2004 10:36:40
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 07:07:46 +0200 (CEST)
jdolecek@NetBSD.org (Jaromir Dolecek) wrote:

> Harry Waddell wrote:
> > FYI, in case anyone is thinking about trying to use a sony erricson GC82
> > EGPRS modem card with netbsd, here's a taste of what you can expect.
> >
> > I borrowed one from a friend and found that although it seemed to
> > answer, dial, etc from cu. Unfortunately, pppd and chat couldn't seem to
> > communicate with the card. Even if they could, attempts to have pppd set
> > the speed above 115200 seemed to fail, so it's scarcely better than my
> > usb <=> phone solution which runs at 80-100kbs:
>
> I'd be surprised if speeds above some 86kbs would be possible
> with GPRS - I think that's max with 4+2 channels, at least.

My phone is a class 2 EDGE, or more appropriately EGPRS, device. The GC82 pc
card is a class 10 EGPRS device.  They are capable of 110 and 234kbs
respectively. [the first number is from memory] Regular GPRS is limited to
about 57kbs.

> > Jun 22 16:33:28 scimitar pppd[932]: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
> >
> > It doesn't seem to work now, at least for me, using -current, but
> > someone more clueful than me could probably make it work if they spent
> > more time on it.
>
> What's your /etc/ppp/options file?

I tried a slew of options, uisng my working cell phone via usb options file
as a starting point.

/dev/dty03 [ and /dev/tty03 ]
115200 [also tried 9600 and 57600]
modem [with and without]
noipdefault
defaultroute
crtscts [with and without]
user dummy
noauth
connect "chat -t 30 -v -f /etc/ppp/chat/gc82"
disconnect "chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat/hup"

ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
noipv6

dmesg had little to say about the device, except that it realized it was a
com device:

Jun 22 16:29:57 scimitar /netbsd: com3 at pcmcia0 function 0: serial device
Jun 22 16:29:57 scimitar /netbsd: com3: ns16550a, working fifo

I can probably borrow it a few more times, without imposing on my friend too
much, if there's anything obvious that I've missed. It would be swell if it
was known to work with netbsd, but it's not the end of the world if it
doesn't.

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing