Subject: Re: ACPI and battery status
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-current-users@quatriemek.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2004 21:39:58
Le Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:16:21 +0200
Manuel Bouyer a ecrit :
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 12:34:01AM +0200, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:40:43 +0300 (EEST)
> > Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I was trying to create a package for xfce4-battery-plugin but I
> > > couldn't compile it on NetBSD 2.0F. So I should add NetBSD support
> > > for this nice plugin...
> > >
> > > How can I read the current battery status using ACPI (and maybe
> > > APM)? Do we have any examples of this somewhere?
> >
> > There is a patch in icewm, patch-ab, that does this for APM.
> >
> > You can also look at the battstat gnome applet (from gnome2-applets).
> > I don't know if it works though...
>
> xbattbar is supposed to work with both APM and ACPI

Yeah, it does (I have it working on my laptop).  However, what it does to
make it happen is truly scary:  it strcmp the name of a sensor with
"acpibat", and then "charge" (or something close to this).

sysmon really should provide a battery abstraction.

"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.
Should I lay my fiddle down and take a rifle from the ground ?"
Leigh Nash/Sixpence None The Richer, Paralyzed, Divine Discontents, 2002.