Subject: Re: i386 Boot floppies (boot1.fs, boot2.fs) still buggy
To: Chris Ross <cross@distal.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 06/12/2004 18:31:35
On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 11:59:35AM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> Matthias Petermann wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >according to my bug report #25552 I want to notice that the current
> >boot-floppies are still buggy. Did anybody got the install working
> >from boot1.fs/boot2.fs in the last few weeks? The last CVS version
> >that works for me was from April, 28th.
>
>   I've installed from the boot floppies in the 20040517-2.0E snapshot
> (on ftp.netbsd.org) multiple times.  Seems to work alright.  I'm
> not terribly familiar with the install process, so it's possible that
> I'm just not noticing the bugs you note, but.  What bugs are you seeing?

There is a bug in the part of buildfloppies.sh that pads the last
floppy out to the size of a floppy.  The effect is to zero the last part
of the image (which is compressed data), whether the system boots depends
on the random output of the decompressor.  If it generates zeros everything
except the 'ath' binary driver is probobably ok, if not then an explision
of some form is likely.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk