Subject: Re: fork() freeze the system
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/2004 14:16:08
--GLp9dJVi+aaipsRk

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:01:32PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 01:11:58PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> > Because when it's run from XFree86, it's run as root.
>=20
> I thought about root and resource limits too - but I hope I misunderstand
> you here - at least I can run "id" in an xterm and get the right (!=3D ro=
ot)
> answer.

Maybe I mis-understood the original problem. There's no difference between=
=20
a pty under an xterm and under a text console. Or there shouldn't be. I=20
assumed they did something like run the program via X in such a manner=20
that it was run as root.

If the original comment was meant to be it was run via an xterm, then I=20
bet the problem was that the X server (or window manager or xterm) didn't=
=20
deal with the resource exhaustion stemming from the forks.

Take care,

Bill

--GLp9dJVi+aaipsRk

--GLp9dJVi+aaipsRk--