Subject: Re: Multiple channels of audio?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Werner Backes <werner@bit-1.de>
List: current-users
Date: 06/10/2004 10:54:00
Hello Peter,

Peter Seebach wrote:
> So... I'm pretty sure my sound hardware can handle some unbelievably large
> number of audio channels at once, probably a couple hundred.

Uh? are you shure the "sound hardware" supports that much channel?
As I understand, "normal" sound chips have 2-8 channels. Professional
soundcard that are used in music production may have more channels, but
"several hundreds" seems much to me. Of course it is possible to mix
several audio streams and play them via one physical audio channel
but this is mainly an application thing. The audio driver could
possibly do this for you but I think this would require some major
changes (introducing "virtual" audio devices and a software mixer whose
output is fed into the physical audio device).

Werner