Subject: Re: Multiple channels of audio?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/09/2004 14:19:08
In message <20040609191724.GA2808@endersgame.net>, Sean Davis writes:
>On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 01:48:23PM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
>> So... I'm pretty sure my sound hardware can handle some unbelievably large
>> number of audio channels at once, probably a couple hundred.
>>
>> Is there any way to get more than one stereo channel active at once?
>
>Not at the moment. And I don't see it happening anytime soon... my SB64
>could handle multiple channels... but it never happened. I was basically
>told to code it myself.

I seem to recall that one of the drivers has a hack to make it appear as
multiple audio devices, but really, shouldn't it be possible for multiple
programs to open /dev/audio, or something?  I guess it's a bit ambiguous
what would happen if one tried to change a playback rate while another
was sending samples... Either outcome could be what you want.

-s