Subject: cac problems with 2.0E-20040517
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/08/2004 15:37:25
   Hello there.  I have a Compaq 1850R, with a Smart Array 3200
controller in it (controlling 4 disks, two RAID1 arrays).  I
have tried installing NetBSD 1.6.2, and multiple 2.0 snapshots,
and when I try to install all of the source, they will all
fail with an NMI (so noted by 1.6.2) or unannounced failure
(cause not noted by pre-2.0 kernels).  In all cases, it will
drop into the kernel debugger "db> prompt", but a trace
is not useful because the symbol names are not present, assumedly
because I loaded off of a floppy.

   (FYI: I've run BSD/OS 5.1 and FreeBSD-current on this same
hardware without seeing this sort of problem at all, so I'm
assuming for now it's not a hardware problem...)

   I tried to load the 2.0E snapshot (20040517) from ftp.netbsd.org,
and only if I trim out unneccesary packages at install would it
complete.  However, now, when the system is running, it will
periodically receive an NMI and drop into the kernel debugger.
It appears to be in the mpidle() function (or something like that,
been a week since I looked at it), but I assume that isn't
where the problem actually is, since I don't think I was running
an MP kernel from the boot-floppies.

   I've been doing a lot of disk I/O, of course, so I'm wondering
if maybe it's a problem with the cac (or pcicac) driver.  Is
there anyone else who has a system with a Smart 3200 controller
in it running netbsd pre-2.0?

   Any advice on how I could help you guys track down and fix
this problem would be much appreciated.  Thank you.

                              - Chris