Subject: Re: ipnat/rdr
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 06/02/2004 05:43:52
Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de> typed:
: In article <slrncbn4cf.us.mason@g.primenet.com.au>,
: 	Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au> writes:
:> On my home LAN, I use the following (kernel now at 2.0F)
:>   rdr ex0 0.0.0.0/0 port 25 -> 127.0.0.1 port 25 tcp
:
: That looks interesting. Will it catch all attempts to deliver e-mail
: directly and redirect it to a local e-mail mail relay? What's the
: purpopse? Stopping infected PCs behind your firewall to spread
: viruses via SMTP?

It could also be used to do that though I've never had viruses - though
I've got a cold at the moment :-)  .  Originally it was just to keep
email when my WAN link was done and send it properly when the WAN came
online again.  Now, friends and relations can chuck a laptop onto the
network and send email without having to reconfigure all their settings,
especially if they would need to authenticate or if they could only
send from some other ISPs internal network.

Regards,
Geoff