Subject: Re: no ACPI reset button defined?
To: None <smb@research.att.com>
From: Takayoshi Kochi <kochi@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/2004 11:21:43
Hi,

From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
Subject: no ACPI reset button defined?
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 17:45:34 -0400

> I learned today -- the hard way -- that the ACPI code didn't seem to
> handle the reset button.  Odd, I thought, since there is a reset
> button script in /etc/powerd/scripts.  A glance at the driver showed
> that there was indeed no support for any buttons other than sleep and
> power.  OK, it loooked pretty easy to add; all I needed was the device
> ID.  So I downloaded the ACPI spec and looked for it.

As far as I read, there's no definition of ACPI reset button.
In the ACPI spec, only power and sleep buttons are defined.

> Unless I 'm very confused, it isn't there.  So why do we have
> /etc/powerd/scripts/reset?

That's because powerd isn't ACPI-centric thing, though I don't know
whether there's any platform that can intercept reset button.

But not all such button things have to be 'hardware button', so
we could generate 'software button event' internally from the kernel.
One way to do this is CTRL+ALT+DEL that generates a 'reset button' event
to notify powerd (this is what someone proposed in the list
some time ago.)

---
Takayoshi Kochi