Subject: Re: Limitations of booting off Raid
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/2004 09:14:30
--2xeD/fx0+7k8I/QN

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 11:12:45PM -0700, Scott Ellis wrote:
  | I've successfully followed the excellent instructions at
  | http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-rf.html to get a system going with
  | RAID-1 as the root filesystem.
  |=20
  | It so happens, that this works so well you can even have the kernel be =
on
  | the raid device!  I can't seem to get this working with RAID-5 though, =
but
  | can't determine if this is a limitation of bootxx_ffsv1 , or if it's
  | something silly I'm doing.=20
  |=20
  | Is there a way to boot and load a kernel off of a RAID-5 Raidframe, or =
do I
  | need to use a separate disk/partition/whatever to load the kernel?

You'll need a separate boot partition to boot off any non RAID-1
formats, including RAID-5 or RAID-0.

The bootxx_* files do not actually implement RAIDframe per se; they
just contain code that knows how to find the "real" file system on
a physical component of a RAID-1 mirror given certain constraints
(the file system to boot on raidN must start at raidN sector 0, etc)

Cheers,
Luke.

--2xeD/fx0+7k8I/QN

--2xeD/fx0+7k8I/QN--