Subject: Re: nfs bug?
To: None <uwe@6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/2004 18:24:50
--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 08:18:46PM +0200, uwe@6bone.informatik.uni-leipzig.=
de wrote:
> hello again,

[snip]

> The Microsoft Support tells me, that the SFU sever does not allow the
> removal of a non-empty directory and NetBSD does not handle this
> case correctly.

In my testing with both a 1.6 nfs client and a 1.6ZK client, I did not see=
=20
the incorrect removal on the non-empty directory. I saw three rmdir=20
operations when looking both at ktrace and at ethereal.

> > You mean rm -r foo ?? rm -f complains that foo is a directory.
>=20
> No, I mean rm -rf foo and foo is a directory. Some makefiles in the sys or
> pkgsrc tree are using this syntax for 'make clean'.

Your original note listed:

> mkdir -p foo/foo/foo
> rm -rf foo --> Error
> rm -f foo  --> work fine

The last line is not in the correct command syntax. I was asking you about=
=20
the last line, not the middle one. I don't see how it can "work fine" if=20
it's incorrect syntax. :-)

> the manpage says:
> -f    Attempt to remove the files without prompting for confirmation
> I think the -f option works also with directories?

rm -f does not work with directories. You have to have rm -r for a=20
directory. So "rm -r foo" and "rm -rf foo" are valid. "rm -f foo" is not.

Take care,

Bill

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb

--8GpibOaaTibBMecb--