Subject: Re: Postfix and group maildrop
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/21/2004 16:38:12
Fri, May 21, 2004 at 11:42:30AM -0700, Bill Studenmund:
> On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 05:14:27PM -0700, john heasley wrote:
> > Postfix, like sendmail, has a few setgid programs for manipulating it's
> > queue.  The group is normally "postdrop", but we're using "maildrop"
> > both in the tree and pkgsrc.  I'm not sure why; possibly because it
> > changed at some point or because its what sendmail users?
>
> Probably because of mailer.conf. We've made it easy to switch from
> sendmail to postfix to any other mailer and back. Using the same group,
> maildrop, simplifies things.

Thought about that, but mailwrapper just exec's the real thing, which could
be set{u,g}id, as /usr/libexec/sendmail is.  I do not think it would affect
the mailwrapper.  but, there is probably some other program or use of the
spool dirs that i'm not familiar with.

> > Anyway, I asked Wietse Venema about changing one of the includes so that
> > we could override the default ... "over my dead body...".
> >
> > So, does anyone mind if I add a "postdrop" group?
>
> Why do we need it?

postfix's postdrop(1) & postqueue(1) are setgid and Postfix insists that the
group be defined in the it's config file's setgid_group variable so that it
can (apparently) try to force folks to use choose sensibly.

It is useful for the built-in default value to be "correct", even if we were
to put "maildrop" in what we ship, so that postconf(1) returns the correct
value.  and things like #postconf -e setgid_group=`postconf -hd setgid_group`
will work properly.

With the (perhaps silly) idea in my head that we shouldn't change 3rd-party
s/w (esp. w/o feeding those back to the vendor) and Wietse's "you should not
force another MTA's idiosyncracies upon postfix" reply; I wanted to solicit
opinions on adding the group (and advice from the more seasoned developers).

> Given that we may have multiple mailers (more than just
> postfix and sendmail), it seems like it's better to just have one group
> name, rather than one per mailer.

Thanks!  I'll just import it as 'maildrop', unless someone barks about it soon.