Subject: Re: Postfix and group maildrop
To: john heasley <heas@shrubbery.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/21/2004 11:42:30
--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 05:14:27PM -0700, john heasley wrote:
> Postfix, like sendmail, has a few setgid programs for manipulating it's
> queue.  The group is normally "postdrop", but we're using "maildrop"
> both in the tree and pkgsrc.  I'm not sure why; possibly because it
> changed at some point or because its what sendmail users?

Probably because of mailer.conf. We've made it easy to switch from=20
sendmail to postfix to any other mailer and back. Using the same group,=20
maildrop, simplifies things.

> Anyway, I asked Wietse Venema about changing one of the includes so that
> we could override the default ... "over my dead body...".
>=20
> So, does anyone mind if I add a "postdrop" group?

Why do we need it? Given that we may have multiple mailers (more than just=
=20
postfix and sendmail), it seems like it's better to just have one group=20
name, rather than one per mailer.

Take care,

Bill

--H+4ONPRPur6+Ovig