Subject: Re: 'NetBSD Sets Internet2 Land Speed World Record' says /.
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040506T110306@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: current-users
Date: 05/06/2004 22:51:05
On 06 May 2004 11:09:22 -0700
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<wolfgang+gnus20040506T110306@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> wrote:

> Since they say it is using very little CPU, it would really drive the
> point home if they re-did this test using much, much slower hardware
> (say an old 150Mhz pentium-pro).  Now that would be funny!
The problem is: You need buses that support the bandwith. As I know the
limitig factor on this test setup was the bus throughput of the
machines. A PPro 150 may have a 33 MHz 32 bit PCI bus, that is saturated
with a single 1 GBit/s connection. To feed a 10 GBit/s pipe you need
PCI-X 64/133 or some funky custom interface like e.g. the I/O links in a
big SGI Origin 3000. AFAIK this links (you can have dozens in one
machine) are capable of 1.6 GByte/s fullduplex.=20
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen