Subject: Re: can't build current - gcc fails
To: NetBSD Current <>
From: Alan Barrett <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/29/2004 16:52:02
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Dick Davies wrote:
> Well yeah, but the general rule is to boot the new kernel then build
> userland under it, isn't it?

No, the general rule, in the days of, is to

0. be running the old kernel and old userland
1. use to build new tools, new kernel, and new userland.
2. install and boot the new kernel.
3. install the new userland.

I wish somebody would apply my patches from PR 24654.  I might send more
patches if the old ones didn't get ignored for months or years.

> If you try to get a new userland built under an old kernel, you often
> find there are syscalls that binaries use that aren't supported.

If you try to *run* a new userland under an old kernel, you get those

If you try to *build* a new userland under an old kernel, and if you use
new cross-build tools (as is done by, then you don't get those

--apb (Alan Barrett)