Subject: Re: HP laptop issues
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 04/27/2004 18:53:02
> 	Just in case this provides a helpful hint to anyone:
> One of my friends recently tried to boot NetBSD on a HP laptop.
> Specifically, one of the Pavillion zx5000 series.  The only kernels
> that worked were the GENERIC_TINY kernel, and the GENERIC.MP kernel.
> All the others we tried would hang just after looking for isapnp devices.
> The GENERIC.MP kernel booted, but the keyboard was non-functional.
> 	Since then, he has exchanged the laptop, so I can't provide more info,
> but if anyone tries to use one of those laptop's maybe this'll point them
> in the right direction.

Hi Eric:

I've has similar experience with my laptop:

On my Japanese laptop (JVC-Victor Interlink MP-XP7310) ACPI-only
Centrino, both GENERIC_LAPTOP & GENERIC would also crash the kernel
with a panic when it can't find the interrupt during boot.  But I
was able to boot GENERIC_TINY and after many tries (turning options
on/off) I got a useable custom kernel to work.

Unfortunately, still no cardbus of pcmcia.  :-(

cbb0 at pci1 dev 3 function 0: Ricoh 5C475 PCI-CardBus bridge (rev. 0xb8)
cbb0: NOT USED because of unconfigured interrupt

Note that if I enable "option PCIBIOS_ADDR_FIXUP", my kernel would
panic and crash during boot on my laptop.

Alicia.