Subject: recent change to uplcom.c breaks some adapters
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Harry Waddell <waddell@caravan.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2004 12:11:23
the change made from 1.34 to 1.35 of sys/dev/usb/uplcom.c:

*** 337,343 ****
                USB_ATTACH_ERROR_RETURN;
        }

!       sc->sc_dtr = sc->sc_rts = -1;
        uca.portno = UCOM_UNK_PORTNO;
        /* bulkin, bulkout set above */
        uca.ibufsize = UPLCOMIBUFSIZE;
--- 337,343 ----
                USB_ATTACH_ERROR_RETURN;
        }

!       sc->sc_dtr = sc->sc_rts = 0;
        uca.portno = UCOM_UNK_PORTNO;
        /* bulkin, bulkout set above */
        uca.ibufsize =
UPLCOMIBUFSIZE;

causes this adapter to no longer work:

port 1 addr 2: full speed, power 100 mA, config 1, PL2303 Serial adapter
(ATEN/IOGEAR UC232A)(0x2303), Prolific Technology(0x067b), rev 2.02 port 2
powered

which is my usb to nokia series 40 adapter.

The change was made to address PR kern/21043,
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=21043
so I expect it fixed some adapters, I expect that it also broke some
adpaters that previously worked. Going back to version 1.34 of uplcom.c
along with -current source as of April 10th, works just fine.

Given that my adapter looks to be the sames as the one "fixed" by the
change, is there perhaps something I can do vis a vis some serial line
or pppd options that might make my adapter work with the current driver
changes?

--
Harry Waddell
Caravan Electronic Publishing